October 14, 2009 THE VILLADOM TIMES II, III & IV • Page 7 National Breast CancerAwareness Month Community displays hot pink ribbons and support Komen North Jersey ran a booth at the Franklin Lakes Town Fair on Oct. 3. Volunteers sold hot pink ribbons, provided educational materials, and encouraged volunteers to give back to the community. Since its inception, the Komen North Jersey Affiliate has granted $16.4 million to research and local community-based programs providing education, screening and treatment services for medically underserved and uninsured populations. Of the net funds raised, 75 percent stays within its service region (Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren counties); the remaining 25 percent is directed to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Research Grants Program. Nancy Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and launched the global breast cancer movement. Today, Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists. Thanks to events like the Komen Race for the Cure®, the organization has invested over $1 billion to fulfill its promise, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer. Local volunteers for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Tie a Ribbon™ campaign. The North Jersey Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Tie a Ribbon™ campaign is in full swing throughout northern New Jersey. In the Borough of Franklin Lakes, local volunteers tied eight-foot long, hot pink ribbons donated by Medco Health Solutions to various trees in the municipal complex, on the Medco campus, and in various neighborhoods. Mayor Maura DeNicola issued a proclamation to honor the commitment of breast cancer awareness in Franklin Lakes, which was presented to two Franklin Lakes survivors, Luisa Costello and Lynelle Eisenberg, on behalf of Komen North Jersey Affiliate. DeNicola encouraged everyone to join in this opportunity to help bring awareness to the importance of early detection. The Franklin Lakes Brownies and Girl Scouts have provided their support of these efforts. Woodside Avenue School recently hosted an All Pink Day in honor of breast cancer awareness month, and Franklin Avenue Middle School will host its awareness day on Oct. 16. Colonial Road and High Mountain Road schools will also be participating in awareness activities. Superintendent Roger Bayerdorfer and Girl Scout leader Jennifer Walden helped organize and support the awareness activities. The Tie a Ribbon™ program, held every October in recognition of breast cancer awareness month, was developed to raise awareness and spread the life-saving message of early detection. Each ribbon is accompanied by a hang tag that delivers the Komen breast health message, and an “in honor of” or “in memory of” opportunity. Ribbons are available at the Komen North Jersey Affiliate Office, 785 Springfield Avenue, Summit, for a suggested donation of $5. Ribbons are also available by contacting Franklin Lakes Tie a Ribbon Captain John Underfer at (201) 6744010 or at Junderfer@aol.com. Chiropractic Wellness Center ��������������������������������������������������������� ������������������������������������ After you had your breast exam, come in for a FREE SPINAL EXAM Normally $260.00 (Includes necessary x-rays) ��������������� ������������������������ ������������������ ��������������������������������������� ������������������� �������������������� ������������������� ��������������������������������������� �������������������� ������������������������������ ���� ������������������������������������� 10-14-09 Pat from Janine DrMilazzoSummer2x2(10-14-09) 2 col x 2” Rev1 ����������� ��������������������������� ���� ������������������� �������� �� ����� ���������� ����������������������������� ������������������������������� ����������������� ��������������������������������������� �� ����������������� ������ ������������������������� � 2 Locations Glen Rock & Passaic PASSAIC LOCATION NOW OPEN SUNDAYS! We Offer Line Of Credits And Financing Plans 595 North Maple Ave, Ridgewood 201.345-5621 201-444-5763 Open Mon-Sat 9:30-5:30 ����� �������� �������